Central Construction Fiber Splicer / Fiber Optic Technician
Posted on: February 9, 2024
DescriptionWork hands applying the latest technologies as you
build, maintain and splice Midco's fiber optic network. This
position can be located in Cambridge or Forest Lake, MN or New
- Engage in Construction team efforts to maintain, expand and
upgrade Midco's regional network.
- Splicing fiber optic cables in both outdoor and indoor
- Ensure the completion with high levels of accuracy on all fiber
assignments by performing pre-checks to verify traffic and accurate
labeling to maintain fiber documentation with 100%
- Ensure the integrity of the fiber system by using approved
industry test procedures.
- Reading, creating and maintaining accurate splicing schematics
and diagrams in GIS fiber management platform.
- Possess an in-depth knowledge of RF, fiber, and HFC
- Resolve problems and questions for Field Operations, while
providing optimal internal customer service.
- Inspect completed work for compliance and quality
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technological developments in
- Read, comprehend, and utilize cable system maps and plans in
both AutoCAD and GIS format.
- Assist in preparing site surveys.
- Prepare asbuilts and update maps accurately and in a timely
- Ensure all project documents are complete in their entirety,
placed in Compass, and kept current.
- Wear safety apparel which includes hard hats (where required),
safety vests, OSHA approved boots, etc.
- Be ready, willing, and able to travel. Travel may be as high as
80%, depending on business needs.
- Maintain current, valid driver's license and good to excellent
driving record (DUI within the last 5 years disqualifies you for
employment in this position).
- Operate and drive a Company vehicle in accordance with all
Midco policies including maintaining a safe driving
- Drive/maneuver vehicle and cable trailer in and around
construction sites, parking lots, etc.
- Possess knowledge of Midco's safety program (Target Zero),
practice and enforce safety rules and procedures.
- Follow and serve as a role model in displaying Midco's Core
Values and Leadership Success Drivers.
- Adhere to Midco's privacy guidelines to ensure each customer's
- Maintain regular attendance as required by your position.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in several areas of the
- Function as an effective team member while supporting the
efforts and strategies, initiatives and projects of other
- Support the mission, vision, and values of Midco.
- Apply personal ethics, honesty, initiative, flexibility,
responsibility, and confidentiality in all areas of
- Possess an enthusiastic, energetic, self-motivated, and
detail-oriented approach towards work and all work
- Possess strong problem-solving, critical-thinking and
decision-making skills while using good judgment.
- Multi-task without the loss of efficiency or
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating
in a manner that develops positive relationships with team members,
customer and leadership.
- Adhere to and actively follow Midco policies and
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
Position leveling will be assigned congruent to experience and
No previous experience required
Construction FTR Certification required within 90 days
Light Brigade 1-2-3 Four Day Fiber Optic Workshop, or equivalent
experience, within 90 days
All requirements of Central Construction Fiber Optic Tech met.
Associates Degree or equivalent experience required.
Three to five years' fiber splicing experience in the cable
telecommunications industry preferred.
Experience with fusion splicing both loose tube and ribbon fiber
optic cables, including the ability to place a mid-sheath.
Working knowledge of CATV Networks, the National Electrical Code,
OSHA regulations, federal, state and local regulations, general
safety standards, and the entire telecommunications system
NCTI Fiber Installer and Activation
NCTI Fiber Testing and Maintenance
Construction Fiber Optic Technician FTR 1 Certification Test
Construction Fiber Optic Technician Field Competency 1 Test
All requirements of Central Construction Fiber Optic Tech Level I
Minimum 2 years in role or equivalent experience.
Proficient in the use of GIS and Fiber Manager to generate fiber
splicing cut sheets, update fiber network components.
Proficient in Fiber Optic testing to include OTDR Certification and
Transport Fiber Characterization.
Light Brigade Advance Outside Plant Technician Workshop, or
equivalent experience, attained
Construction Fiber Optic Technician FTR 2 Certification Test
Construction Fiber Optic Technician Field Competency 2 Test
All requirements of Central Construction Fiber Optic Tech Level 2
Minimum 4 years in role or equivalent experience.
Fully proficient in GIS Arch FM functionality
Construction Fiber Optic Technician FTR 3 Certification Test
Construction Fiber Optic Technician Field Competency 3 Test
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and
arms, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift
and/or carry loads of up to 84 lbs.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderate to
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is
frequently exposed to outside weather conditions and may
occasionally be exposed to moving mechanical parts, high,
precarious places, risk of electrical shock, and risk of radiation
- In-person visits to a customer's home or place of business are
normal in the performance of this job. Specific abilities required
include accessing a customer's home or place of business by stairs
or elevator, operating doors or other entrances, navigating
hallways and buildings, etc., and adapting successfully to a
constantly changing environment.
- Employees may be required to work in excess of 40 hours per
week and other than normal business hours, such as holidays,
evenings and weekends as business demands.
- Must be able to climb poles, ladders, and other structures with
- Must be able to work from elevated heights and in tight spaces
such as attics and crawlspaces.
- The employee is required to travel up to 80% of flexible
- Is the leading provider of reliable, high-speed internet via
fiber and fixed wireless technology, serving 460,000 homes and
businesses in 400 communities across the Midwest.
- Provides exceptional customer experience and a superior
network, while being a force for good in the communities we
- Delivers TV services including Midco Sports (a regional sports
network), phone, data center and advertising services, plus
wholesale networking solutions.
Ready to work at Midco? We thought so. Here are a few more reasons
why Midco is one of the best places to work:
- Free Midco internet & TV
- Great opportunities to get involved in volunteerism
- Generous 401(k) match and paid time away from work
- And many more
Visit to learn about employment opportunities and apply today.
Midco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race,
color, religion, creed, national origin, disability, protected
Veteran status, age, marital status, status with regard to public
assistance, familial status, membership or activity in a local
commission, or any other characteristic protected by law. To view
our full EEO and federal contractor supplemental posters, please
refer to .
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with
DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other
manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they
have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the
pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have
access to the compensation information of other employees or
applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot
disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals
who do not otherwise have access to compensation information,
unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or
charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding,
hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the
employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to
furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Keywords: Midco, Minneapolis , Central Construction Fiber Splicer / Fiber Optic Technician, Professions , Cambridge, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!