Wholesale Electricity Market Analyst (REMOTE)
Company: California ISO
Posted on: June 26, 2022
Company DescriptionThe California Independent System Operator
(ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage,
long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's
power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million
Californians by operating the grid reliabily 24/7.As the impartial
grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale
power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower
prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of
power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to
bring power to customers.The California ISO's function is often
compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly
unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and
profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before
others. In the same way, the California ISO operates
independently-managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do
not own-making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities
and consumers on time and reliably.The California ISO is committed
to the health, safety, and work/life integration of it employees
and is proud to offer flexible work arrangements. This position
would be eligible to participate in a fully remote schedule.
Relocation Assistance is available.Job DescriptionUnder the general
direction of the Manager, the Market Validation and Quality Analyst
(internal title) works on complex mathematical and market
analytical assignments. Provides technical expertise to other
departments and external entities related to price validation,
electricity market applications, and power systems operations.
Supports the department to ensure software business rules comply
with the ISO Tariff and FERC requirements.What's In It For YouOur
purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a
difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity
in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that
will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside
our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your
contributions will be rewarded and recognized.What You Will Be
- Performs mathematical and economics analysis of market software
and power systems applications results to determine validity of
prices and congestion, and optimality of solutions with respect to
the market model, incurred cost and impact on reliability of the
power system grid.
- Supports the validation and testing of market outcomes to
address market participant's disputes or inquiries, assists in the
evaluation of problems and their alternative courses of
- Performs duties needed to supplement the design of market
operations software, processes, and policies, provides technical
expertise related to cost optimization technologies, market
clearing economic principles, transmission system, resource
operating characteristics, and price analysis.
- Assists in identifying and resolving implementation, design and
integration-related problems or potential problems within assigned
areas, and may propose solutions to such issues. Demonstrates an
understanding of policy issues and related matters.
- May participate in market design and development efforts to
identify new measures necessary to validate market results and
leverage opportunity for incorporating features that will improve
market solution quality. May develop business procedures and
methods as needed.QualificationsLevel of Education and Discipline
- Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or
experience in Engineering with a Power Systems focus, Operation
Research, Economics, Finance, or related field. Master Degree
preferredAmount Of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus two (2) or
more year related experience.Type Of Experience
- A combination of experience in any of the following disciplines
- utility/power industry
- preferably in a similar ISO
- system analysis
- operations research
- regulatory and/or economic analysis
- data analysis
- real-time applications development.
- Experience in the design, development or implementation of
computational methods of market models.
- Exposure and experience with applied optimization principles
and techniques, power system operations and market
design.Additional Skills And Abilities
- Ability to think technically and provide practical and feasible
solutions to problems keeping multiple conflicting considerations
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as
facilitator and team member.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills.
- Strong mathematical analytical skills are required, including
the ability to effectively communicate complex technical and
mathematical materials and concepts.
- Must be able to handle a dynamic and changing work environment,
and work independently with minimal supervision.Additional
- We will also consider applicants for a Sr Market Validation and
Quality Analyst position. This position requires a Bachelor's
degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in
Engineering with a Power Systems focus, Operation Research,
Economics, Finance, or related field and two (2) years of
- We will also consider applicants for an Associate Market
Validation and Quality Analyst position. This position requires a
Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) in Engineering with a Power Systems
focus, Operation Research, Economics, Finance, or related field .
This is an entry-level position, no experience required. Related
internship or project experience strongly preferred.**
Keywords: California ISO, Minneapolis , Wholesale Electricity Market Analyst (REMOTE), Professions , Minneapolis, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!