Plant and Soil Microbiome Research Scientist & Team Leader
Company: Loam Bio
Posted on: January 16, 2022
About Loam Bio:Loam Bio is a fast-paced, rapidly growing
Start-up focused on leveraging naturally occurring microbial
systems for enhanced farm productivity and environmental benefits.
The organisation has established leading edge R&D programs in
plant performance and microbial carbon sequestration to enhance
farm productivity while increasing soil carbon levels in
agricultural soils. The Loam Bio R&D team is made up of
researchers and practitioners located in Australia and the US who
are working across microbiology, plant performance, soil carbon and
agronomy to innovate practical, scientifically validated methods
for enhanced carbon sequestration and increase farm productivity.
Loam Bio, which recently rebranded from the Soil Carbon Co., was
founded in 2019 by a group of scientists, farmers and entrepreneurs
in Australia to CO2 from the atmosphere and improve soil health and
expanded into the USA in early 2020.
Plant & Soil Microbiome Research Scientist & Team LeaderIn this
position, you will work in close collaboration with a diverse team
of scientists and oversee a team of Research Associates to perform
the following research tasks as well as other related assigned
tasks and projects:
- Method optimization and implementation for discovery and
performance of native fungi expected to have carbon sequestration
and/or plant beneficial effects
- Implementation, optimization and interpretation of laboratory
and growth chamber evaluations of targeted microbes and their
combinations for performance attributes
- Structure and manage projects across lab team members for
optimal research outcomes and process efficiency
- Elucidation of compatible plant-microbe interactions using
tools such as reporter gene/qPCR-based endophytic/rhizosphere
- Microbial Community analysis for; a) Evaluation of treatment
impacts on microbial communities, b) Establishment of indigeneity
documentation for microbes, c) Evaluate utility of culture
independent approaches and available data sources.
- Conduct and evaluate whole genome analysis of fungal isolates
for functional capabilities, comparative genomics and other related
- Management, leadership, and development of laboratory
- Design, manage and collaborate on cross functional projects
with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Manage data, records, confidentiality, and compliance
considerations related to research activities, staff, service
providers and collaborators
- Effective and timely report writing and communication--
Examples of projects you will be engaging in:
- Developing and executing experiment designed to evaluate
microbial community response to field, lab and greenhouse
- Assessment of indigeneity of microbes from plant and soil
samples collected across domestic and international sites.
- Developing and executing invitro assays to elucidate
plant-microbe and microbe-microbe interactions.
- Genomic analysis of whole genome sequence to detect underlying
pathways and predict performance traits of microbial
- PhD in Plant Science, Plant Biology, Microbiology, or Soil
Science with microbiome research, or M.S. degree with 3-4yrs of
industry experience. Preferably with plant microbiome/plant microbe
- Strong people, organization, and communication skills
- Ability to work on cross-functional teams to meet milestones
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects and staff for delivery of
results while optimizing the success and development of all
- Strong plant microbiology background, with demonstrated
experience in plant microbe interactions and microbiome.
- Expertise in plant associated beneficial microbes, and
evaluation of plant microbe interactions using capabilities in
bioinformatics, transcriptomic and genomics.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced environment with minimal
- Strong computer skills related to data acquisition,
organization, and data analysis
- Strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to follow through on
ongoing tasks independently
- Committed to safe working practices and willing to ensure the
safety of others around you
- Preferred experience working on soil microbiome,
amplicon/shotgun metagenomics, data analysis, and presentation -
QIIME, Python/R experience preferred
Benefits and Working Conditions:
- Fast-growing start-up with many opportunities for capacity
building and career development.
- The role is located at our laboratories at University
Enterprise Laboratories, 1000 Westgate Drive, Saint Paul, MN
- Strong integration with the Loam Bio R&D team in Australia
as well as our academic partners.
- Work alongside leading scientists and innovators in an
international organisation focused on promising opportunities to
address some of the world's biggest issues.
- Enjoy an inclusive and supportive culture, with a
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- Generous benefit package including health, dental and vision
insurance and 401k match
Keywords: Loam Bio, Minneapolis , Plant and Soil Microbiome Research Scientist & Team Leader, Professions , Minneapolis, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!