User Experience Designer
Company: Securian Financial Group
Posted on: November 11, 2019
When you're a Securian Financial employee, you're part of a
hard-working, high-performing, bright-thinking, make-things-happen
family. One that sees your potential on day one, challenging you to
grow your unique strengths as you create a career filled with
opportunity, collaboration and meaning. One where you get the
support and flexibility to become the person you want to be, at
work and outside of it. For our newest team members and our most
tenured, we're committed to being an employer of choice.
Location: St. Paul, MN
$86,800 - $108,500/year depending on qualifications and
This position is eligible for a target bonus of 8%.
The User Experience (UX) Designer is responsible for ensuring a
consistent and effective user experience at the asset level. Ensure
that applications are powerful, engaging and rewarding by taking a
user-centered design approach. Create navigational structures,
conceptual frameworks, wireframes, process flows, and interaction
specifications for digital experiences across a variety of business
units and user groups, in collaboration with enterprise partners.
Work with cross-functional business and technology teams and key
stakeholders to transform business and user requirements in to
highly effective and usable digital solutions.
What you would do in this job:
Lead asset-level user experience initiatives, including the
development of wireframes, mock-ups and other project deliverables
to illustrate the intended user experience across a variety of
digital assets including websites, mobile sites, applications, and
- Collaborates with the project team and stakeholders across
multiple business lines to understand user needs and objectives,
business goals, requirements, and constraints, including business
analysts, technology, marketers, and visual design.
- Translates business and user requirements into defined UX
documentation and specifications that meet as many needs as
possible for the business and the user.
- Assesses the need for user research (personas, journey maps,
task analysis, usability testing), on a particular project and
determines the work to be completed.
- Engages with vendor and/or internal resources, ensuring
deliverables are of high quality and consistent with best practices
and established patterns and guidelines.
- When needed, produces information architecture and interaction
design deliverables, such as navigational structures, wireframes,
processes flows, and interaction specifications.
- Develops low fidelity wireframes and prototypes, and ensure
alignment of the information architecture with brand and web
- Leads usability testing, including ongoing usability studies,
to obtain direct user feedback and make recommendations for
improvement as needed.
- Analyzes user feedback on the company's digital properties to
identify trends and recommend changes that will improve the user
experience.Serves as the user experience representative in the
development of digital assets, balancing business and user needs
within project and budget constraints.
- Champions the user perspective in the systems development
process, and brings a strong interaction design viewpoint.
- Apply user experience design principles to create innovative,
user-centered designs to build and manage a consistent user
- Incorporates user research and usability testing results on the
company's audiences and digital properties to improve the user
- Helps identifies pain points in the user experience and seeks
out opportunities to resolve or improve them.
- Participates in the assessment of potential solutions and
analyzes the pros and cons to the user experience.
- Understands project and systems constraints, and works with the
project team to improve the solution within them.
- Ensures information architecture and interaction designs are
compliant with WCAG 2.1 accessibility guidelines and best
- Present design ideas, including rationale based on customer
research and best practices, to the product development team and
other key stakeholders.Develops and contributes to user experience
standards and best practices.
- Acts as an internal evangelist for user experience.
- Finds creative and compelling ways to present and evangelize
the user insights throughout the organization, in order to help
cultivate a highly informed, more effective, and more empathetic
- Fosters a research-based user experience culture within the
- Implements standards for user experience based on current
knowledge and trends, such as best practices for user research and
usability testing, and templates for navigation structures and
wireframes.Performs related activities as directed, and manages
personal self-development to prepare for new responsibilities and
challenges in a changing environment.
- Continues to develop deeper understanding of emerging digital
concepts and opportunities, particularly in the area of user
- Identifies and participates in training or other opportunities
to learn about and share applicable best practices and tools.What
we'd expect from you:
- 5+ years' experience as an information architect, interaction
designer, experience designer or similar role working in a
user-centered design process.
- Degree in field such as interactive design, industrial design,
graphic design, human factors or equivalent experience.
- Strong experience with qualitative research methods
(interviewing, usability studies, ethnographic observation).
- Experience with digital prototyping tools (e.g. InVision,
Axure, Omnigraffle, Sketch) and understanding of design tools (e.g.
Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Sketch).
- Working knowledge of behavioral statistics and the principles
of experimental design.
- Abilty to articulate complex concepts clearly and concisely,
through both written and verbal means.
- High attention to detail of execution and the ability to work
quickly under deadline pressure and remain flexible.
- Strong organization, prioritization, and project coordination
skills to work across multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Strong relationship and interpersonal skills to build effective
partnerships and lead across functions and business areas.
- Strong ability to collaborate and assert a point of view
- Ability to quickly learn and effectively work in a variety of
subject matter. Experience in financial services, or ability to
learn the industry and its customers.
What you could expect from us:
Securian Financial is based in downtown St. Paul for the past 130
years. We're committed to giving back to our community, donating
15,000+ employee volunteer hours this past year. We also provide
extensive resources to our employees for professional development
and growth and a number of diverse professional and social
opportunities throughout the company. There's a reason our
employees have voted us as a best place to work year after year! In
- Generous paid time off. We want you to take time off for
whatever matters most to you!
- No weekend or late night hours.
- Tuition reimbursement program. We value continuous learning at
- Company-funded pension plan as well as 401k retirement plan -
great resources to secure your financial future.
- Continuous opportunities for new challenges - 80% of our jobs
go to our current employees.
- Variety of health plan options as well as dental and vision
- Discounted Metro Transit costs. All buses and the light rail
stop within 3 blocks of our buildings.
- Paid maternity/paternity leaves.
- Ergonomic sit/stand desks available in many areas.Physical job
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week
- Ability to utilize keyboard, mouse and computer for up to 8
hours per day
- Ability to utilize phone for approximately 1-4 hours per
- Ability to perform simple grasping including handwriting, paper
manipulation, sorting, folding, etc. periodically throughout entire
workdayThe physical job requirements described above are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal employment opportunity:
Securian Financial Group, Inc. does not discriminate based on race,
color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity,
sexual orientation, age, marital or familial status, pregnancy,
disability, genetic information, political affiliation, veteran
status, status in regard to public assistance, status in a local
human rights commission, or any other status or condition protected
by local, state or federal law. If you are a job seeker with a
disability and require an accommodation to apply for one of our
jobs, please contact us by telephone (voice), 711
(telecommunications relay), or by email at
For all inquiries about this position, please apply directly on our
website or contact us at
Keywords: Securian Financial Group, Minneapolis , User Experience Designer, Other , Minneapolis, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!