Medical Assistant (Bilingual English/Spanish)
Company: West Side Community Health Services
Location: Saint Paul
Posted on: January 15, 2019
Job DetailsJob Location Multiple Locations - Saint Paul, MNPosition Type Full Time and Part TimeDescription Summary/Objective
The medical assistant position supports health care providers in the care of patients in a culturally diverse population within a clinic setting. This position provides direct patient services such as rooming, vitals, health information updates, scheduling of follow-up appointments, and health promotion activities. Essential Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The medical assistant position at West Side Community Health Services exists as a clinical ladder and has three levels. Essential functions for each are listed below.
- Prepares patients for the health care visit by directing and/or accompanying them to the examining room. Verifies patient information by interviewing the patient, reviews and/or records medical history; takes and documents vital signs; and confirms reason for visit.
- Sets up and assists with diagnostic or therapeutic procedures by providing examination gown and drape for patient, helping them to position themselves for the examination and/or treatment, and arranging examining room instruments, supplies, and equipment.
- Carries out provider orders, including lab draws, administering medications, scheduling follow-up appointments, immunizations, EKGs, spirometry, etc.
- Keep exam rooms stocked with adequate medical supplies.
- Perform cleaning and sterilization procedures that support infection control and OSHA standards.
- Document in electronic medical record in an accurate and confidential manner.
- Respond effectively to urgent or emergency situations.
- Maintain all logs and required checks (i.e. refrigerator/freezer temperatures, eyewash stations, instrument sterilization logs, etc.)
- Sets priorities and organizes work to deliver safe and efficient patient care.
- Ensures smooth, efficient clinic flow.
- Monitors clinic safety and observance of standard precautions.
- Communicates with flow nurse regarding general work flow within the clinic and immediately notifies flow nurse or nursing supervisor of urgent concerns during the shift.
- Attends required meetings and participate in committees as requested.
- Other duties as assigned. Competencies A full list of current competencies is available by asking the supervising manager. They include, but are not limited to:
- Vital Signs Core Competency
- Immunization Competency
- High Level Disinfection Competency
- Instrument Cleaning, Wrapping/Packaging, and Sterilization Competency
- Hand Hygiene Competency Qualifications Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED
- Graduation from an accredited medical assistant program.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
Preferred Education and Experience
- Previous work experience, preferably in a medical setting. Organizational Overview
As Minnesota's largest Federally Qualified Health Center, West Side Community Health Services ensures that the communities we serve have access to high quality and affordable health care. Approximately 86% of our patients in the 2016 calendar year were people of color from Asian, African American, American Indian or Latino communities, and 98% of our patients had incomes below 200% of federal poverty guidelines. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. West Side Community Health Services values building a culturally diverse staff that reflects the communities it serves, and strongly encourages women, minorities, and persons with disabilities to apply.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Keywords: West Side Community Health Services, Minneapolis , Medical Assistant (Bilingual English/Spanish), Other , Saint Paul, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!