Research Support Specialist (Res Pro 3)
Company: University of Minnesota
Posted on: May 27, 2023
RESEARCH SUPPORT SPECIALIST
- Division of Outcomes and Precision Medicine Research (DOPMR) -
- Department of Surgery -
- University of Minnesota Medical School -
We are seeking an individual who is excited to administratively support biomedical research in infectious disease, transplant and cancer. We are looking for someone to cover a position which will be responsible for coordinating and organizing the activity of the Division and of the Principal Investigators in particular.
This position includes administrative support for a variety of multi-disciplinary research and research-related projects designed and outlined by the Principal Investigator (PI) or designated staff. This includes but is not limited to, scheduling meetings for national and international collaborators, support travel booking, submitting reimbursements, facilitating research activities including event coordination, ordering supplies, and other support. This individual will be also involved in reviewing and coordinating grant submissions, developing reports, edit manuscripts, training and transfering knowledge, ensuring that activities are done in accordance with regulatory guidelines, overseeing the effective use of lab resources, and facilitating everyday work routine. This individual will also organize conferences and meetings directed to the Division and to external collaborators.
The candidate will be exposed to a learning environment, but at the same time will have to work pro-actively. This position will report to the managing staff when needed. This individual is expected to work independently as well as with teams to complete projects in a timely manner.
Research and Research-Related Support (60%)
- Provide administrative support, including scheduling meetings among lab members and collaborators; assist in booking travel and registrations and submitting reimbursements; coordinate lab activities and meetings, including taking meeting minutes; etc.
- Support and manage lab operations to ensure that all laboratory processes are conducted efficiently, on-time, within budget, and according to standard operating procedures.
- Review and coordinate grant submissions, which includes collection of biosketches, financial disclosures, and other documents and formatting grant proposal components with required pagination, font, and margin rules as per program announcement guidelines. This also requires staying current with NIH and other sponsor policies.
- Lead meetings to advise PIs on budgetary and administrative requirements, autonomously create grant applications in Research Navigator online tool, and closely collaborate with Sponsored Projects Administration (SPA) to review and submit all incoming applications on time.
- Collaborate with PIs and their research personnel to ensure timely, accurate, and complete submission of grant materials. Prepare, complete, and collect administrative and financial paperwork with necessary signatures from faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Manage orders and ordering of program-specific equipment and supplies (e.g., laboratory reagents, instruments, and labware) to complete projects within projected timelines.
- Develop and manage project budgets and submit progress reports to internal and external regulatory bodies.
- Activate emergency procedures when needed and as directed by PI.
- Remain available at all times to PI via phone and email in the case of an emergency
- Assist in recruiting and interviewing new employees
- Manage onboarding and training of new employees
- Manage exiting of departing employees
Participation in everyday laboratory activities (20%)
- Support the maintenance of laboratory equipment and instruments
- Support other lab members in order to achieve laboratory goals
- Coordinate sample transfers and storage
- Perform procedures requiring technical expertise and specialized equipment
- Support technical procedures and manage technical equipment to conform with operational standards
- Support manuscript editing and submission as needed
Supporting interactions with other laboratories/institutes/organizations (15%)
- Participate in meetings and presentation as needed
- Be accountable for maintaining communication with the IRB, which includes responding to reviewers and submitting amendments, annual reports, and tracking reportable events, while meeting deadlines
- Support contact with external and internal collaborators
Keeping continuum in education (5%)
- Attend PI-approved training and educational events in order to remain in compliance and up-to-date.
- Attend conferences and meetings
- Attend events about new technologies and keep up-to-date on technologies in current use
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
All required qualifications must be documented on application materials
The Division of Surgical Outcomes and Precision Medicine Research performs innovative translational research on the mechanisms by which the microbiome impacts human health and implements potential interventions to improve health through the microbiome.
Working at the University
At the University of Minnesota, you'll find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance, allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your life outside of work.
The University also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
Please visit the Office of Human Resources website for more information regarding benefits.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are required to comply with the University's Administrative Policy: COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or religious reasons. To learn more please visit: https://safe-campus.umn.edu/return-campus/get-the-vax
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.
RESEARCH SUPPORT SPECIALIST
Keywords: University of Minnesota, Minneapolis , Research Support Specialist (Res Pro 3), Other , Minneapolis, Minnesota
here to apply!