Heavy Equipment Operator - Recycling Facility
Company: Veit National Corporation
Posted on: January 28, 2023
The Heavy Equipment Operator performs tasks involving physical
labor, basic cleanup and maintenance, and operation of heavy
equipment at Veit Disposal's Recycling Facility in Minneapolis.
This position picks and screens unacceptable waste and recyclables,
helps direct transfer station traffic flow, loads trucks, and
maintains the tip floor.
This is a union role that falls under a negotiated contract between
Veit Disposal and the 49ers Operators union. Hours may vary,
however, a typical shift is 6am-4pm, with an occasional 5am start
time. The position is M-F, with a rare Saturday.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Operates heavy equipment of various sizes and weights including
loader, skid loader, forklift, and excavator.
* Pushes tipped loads and breaks up material.
* Loads semi-trailers with various materials.
* Picks and screens unacceptable waste and recyclables dumped at
* Helps direct traffic for both Veit employees and Customers coming
through the facility, opening, and shutting gates, assisting with
dumping loads, etc.
* Takes customer payments.
* Performs basic cleanup and maintenance duties within the transfer
* Follows company and OSHA safety procedures. Brings problems to
the attention of the project VDS Como Transfer Station Supervisor
or Safety Director.
* Follows daily procedures and protocols as set forth in job
orientations and trainings.
* Performs routine inspections and preventative maintenance on
assigned equipment and refer defects or needed repairs to VDS Como
Transfer Station Supervisor or Safety Director.
* Keep supervisor informed of known actions, written or verbal,
which may affect the ability to successfully perform tasks at
Transfer Station or adversely affect Company operations.
* Other projects or duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Six to twelve months of construction or related experience.
* Basic knowledge and ability to work with equipment, materials,
and supplies found in construction work.
* Ability to view and abide by Veit's safety training video.
Ability to follow proper use and safety guidelines.
* Willingness and ability to perform manual work.
* Demonstrated knowledge of safety precautions and procedures.
* Good communication skills both oral and written when working with
all levels of management and employees, external vendors, and other
* Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral
instructions. Must have good interpersonal skills.
* Basic mathematic skills involved with collecting customer
payments. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as
fractions, percentages ratios, and proportions to practical
* Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and
consistency as required by management and/or project
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* High School Diploma or GED is preferred but not required.
* OSHA 10 is preferred but not required.
* First Aid/CPR is preferred but not required.
* Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and background
* Hours may vary, however a typical shift is 6am-4pm, with an
occasional 5am start time. The position is M-F, with a rare
* Must be a member of the union or willing to join the union.
The physical demands described are representative of those that
must be met by any employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and perform
strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions. Often
required to sit, stand, walk, bend knees, stretch arms, talk and
hear. Occasionally required to stoop or kneel. Specific vision
abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision,
and ability to adjust focus. Able to work extended hours (up to 12
per day) during peak periods.
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those employees encountered while performing the
essential functions of this job. Employee is exposed to
environmental conditions, working near machines and loud noises
associated with construction sites. Exposed to variable weather
conditions including rain, snow, wind, cold and heat.
Never settle, dig deeper.
Our Core Values
* Build with Intention We build with intention. Whether in the
office or the field, we work with grit and determination toward a
better future for everyone involved. We leave things better than we
found them, and never leave a job until we're proud to put the Veit
name on it.
* Leaders Dig First Egos have no place at Veit. We expect everyone
on our team to dig in with a leadership mentality. That means being
willing to jump in, take ownership, and get mud on our boots
especially when times get challenging.
* Real Relationships Like our work, we approach relationships
authentically, with a long-term mindset. Whether you're a client
partner, vendor, or team member, we make an effort to build a more
meaningful connection with you by communicating with respect and
* Integrity in Everything As part of the Veit family, everything we
do and say reflects on this entire company. We act with integrity,
which means treating others just as we want to be treated, doing
the right thing, and holding ourselves accountable.
* Deliberately Safe We believe all safety incidents are avoidable
when everyone operates with a deliberate mindset. We are
deliberately proactive and thorough in training and job planning.
We are deliberately safe in our everyday operations and
Veit is one of the country's leading specialty contractors, with
over 90 years of experience and the best people in the industry. We
pride ourselves on our relentless pursuit to push the construction
industry forward and deliver for our customers. Our modern fleet of
iron, diverse expertise, and unmatched determination allow us to
successfully tackle some of the largest and most complex projects
across every sector while also living out our values every day.
Our company culture is one where everyone pitches in to get the job
done, regardless of job title or seniority. We do everything we can
to maintain an atmosphere where family comes first. We want every
one of our employees to look forward to each day at work and make
it home safe and happy at the end of the day.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, INCLUDING
If you want to view the EEO is the Law poster, please choose your
Keywords: Veit National Corporation, Minneapolis , Heavy Equipment Operator - Recycling Facility, Other , Minneapolis, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!