Company: Main Street Alliance
Posted on: November 23, 2021
About Main Street AllianceSince 2008, Main Street Alliance has
engaged thousands of small businesses across the U.S. to build our
network. We seek to understand the issues that matter most to small
businesses. Our members include manufacturers, restaurateurs,
artists, farmers, accountants, printers, software designers,
retailers, mechanics, and much more. We are organizing small
businesses owners to build power and fight for change across our
primary issues areas:*
- Care Economy
- Tax Fairness
- Capital Access & Small Business Economy
- Health CareWe are organizing to build a base of small business
leaders in every U.S. state, ready to take action, testify, and
lead change locally and nationally. Right now, we are laying the
groundwork to build toward a membership base of 200,000 members.
With this base of engaged members, we will have the power to
meaningfully shift the public narrative away from traditional Big
Business ideologies of individualism, free-market capitalism, and
small government, to one articulating a real vision of healthy
"Main Streets" in America. We are building community-focused,
people-centered, small businesses for local economies.Does that
sound like something you want to help build? Do you love to
organize?Do you want to spend your time having engaging one on one
conversations with small business owners?We're looking for
you!Overview: Reporting to the Regional Manager, the Minnesota
Organizer conducts grassroots outreach and engagement to develop
small business leaders to build power, shape narrative and the
public opinion toward long-term structural change through ambitious
coordinated national and state campaigns and policy. Creating a
first-class experience for small business owners is central to our
organizing strategy.The Minnesota Organizer is responsible for
achieving powerbuilding and program objectives. They focus on
organizing, member experience, building real relationships with
members, creating opportunities for members to network and build
relationships with each other, and building local, state, and
regional leadership teams. This position involves frequent travel
around the state.Specific responsibilities include:
- Organize. Using natural and developed grassroots organizing
skills, the Organizer's primary role is to meet with members, have
one on one conversations to build relationships, and build
connections between members.
- Build deep trust. Invest in relationships with members, leaders
and staff in order to deeply understand small business
- Develop leaders to build power. Work with the MSA team to
develop small business owners into leaders using our leadership
development model, ladder and program structure. Engage leaders in
local, state, regional, and national leadership teams. Set up a
leadership team for the primary state and engage leads/new members
into the leadership development ladder from the secondary states to
build power throughout the region.
- Engage members. Organize active members to engage in MSA
Programs and to take regular action.
- Plan smart. Work with supervisor to build strategic plans that
ensure growth and development; use best data practices to monitor
your performance and make changes as needed.
- Be an Expert. Know the ins and outs of small business in your
- Meet and Find. Identify new small businesses to engage into the
MSA network using digital and face to face organizing strategies to
- You see yourself first and foremost as an organizer. Believe in
people power, and if we can organize enough people we can win
against powerful interests.
- 2+ years experience organizing on issue based campaigns,
grassroots campaigns and/or digital campaigns.
- Understanding the gold standard of any organizing program is a
quality conversation between a member and an organizer.
- Appreciation that organizing at scale requires attention to
details, logistics and math and listening skills.
- Must demonstrate a deep commitment to a vision of racial,
social, and economic justice and to building the collective voice
of small business owners.
- Love having numerical goals and metrics that need to be hit on
a daily, weekly, and monthly basis to meet or exceed expectations.
- Highly flexible and willing to iterate even if it means
constantly revising your plans in response to real-world
developments. Flexibility is your middle name.
- Publicly represent Main Street Alliance in a professional and
engaging manner with staff, members, and partners.
- Like to travel and engage new people everyday into discussions,
and reliable transportation to get around.Tech & Work Environment
- We're a remote team. We need a self-starter who can work
independently and as part of a team.
- Have a comfort with technology that allows you to effectively
use standard tools like EveryAction, video conferencing, and Google
apps and are able to rapidly learn new tools for texting, phoning,
or other organizing applications.
- Know when a phone call, video call, or face-to-face is better
than an email, text, or chat
- Believe that in-person interactions and digitally mediated ones
can exist side-by-side, and be mutually reinforcing when done
- A strong project manager and build relationships with movement
- Work well independently and as a part of a team.
- Able to work effectively in an environment where much of the
team is not co-located with you.
- Propose program strategy for your assigned region but at the
end of the day you must take direction from leadership, align, and
go out and execute.
- Able to uphold the Main Street Alliance brand by demonstrating
our values not just when you are on the job, but in all your
interactions both in person and on social media.*Job Type:
Full-timePay: $50,000.00 - $60,000.00 per yearBenefits:
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insuranceSchedule:
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to FridayApplication Question(s):
- Why are you interested in organizing small businesses with Main
- organizing: 2 years (Preferred)Work Location:
- One locationWork Remotely:
- YesWork Location: One location
Keywords: Main Street Alliance, Minneapolis , Organizer, Other , Minneapolis, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!