Sr. Motor Design Engineer
Company: Trane Technologies
Posted on: October 13, 2021
Technologies® we Challenge Possible. Our brands –
including Trane® and Thermo King® - create access to cooling
and comfort in buildings and homes, transport and protect food and
perishables, connect customers to elevated performance with less
environmental impact, dramatically reduce energy demands and carbon
emissions, and innovate with a better world in mind. We boldly
challenge what’s possible for a sustainable world.
This Senior Level Motor
Design Engineer is responsible to lead
electrical/mechanical motor and generator development projects for
use in Thermo King transport refrigeration products. This is a very
exciting time to be an engineer in a company with a great
sustainability purpose. Thermo King is developing new
electric and hybrid drive solutions for the next generation
transport refrigeration systems. This role will be a critical
part of the electrification of Thermo King product platforms,
shaping the future of electrified system offerings. This
position will be located with the technology team in
Minneapolis and will report to the North American
Electrification Center of Excellence Leader.
(others may be added):
- Lead motor and generator module projects and their integration
into electrical subsystems for new TK product developments. These
modules will be sized in the range of 1 to 30KW.
- Definition of component design and interface requirements
distilled down from marketing and system level product
requirements. Explains design based on customer need and required
function, leading to a physical solution.
- Perform in-depth analysis, model-based simulation, and design
of electromechanical rotational machines, using analytical tools
available in the industry to predict required application
performance in the system.
- Identify and design to meet relevant industry standards and
- Invent new solutions that give our products technological
differentiation to satisfy customers unmet needs.
- Author lab test plans, conduct testing, analyze and interpret
results and execute design updates based on the results.
- Strategic in creating inputs to technical and capability growth
roadmaps and tactical focus in delivering specific projects.
- Develop project plans, prioritize tasks, and write clear
technical requirements in collaboration with product development
teams and suppliers, and present materials in formal and informal
- Maintain orderly project records. Analyze, condense, and
present data results and recommendations.
- Provide guidance and leadership to designers, lab technicians
and other team members.
- Manage projects as a Lead Engineer and Project Manager.
- Drive project execution and achieve project
MINIMUM EDUCATION and/or
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering and
at least 8 years of electrical product design experience is
- Master’s Degree or PhD strongly preferred.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS or
- System integration experience in a variety of motor and
generator topologies (PMSM, IPM, IM, SRM, and RM). .
- Very good knowledge of physical motor attributes when paired
with power electronic drives.
- Ability to perform detailed calculations to compute and
establish electrification standards and specifications.
- Rotor Dynamics understanding for the determination of limits of
rotating components such as shafts and bearings.
- Understanding of relevant motor standards (NEMA) and
manufacturing processes including wire winding, die casting,
materials, machining, extrusions.
- Demonstrated history of innovation – can point to and explain
product features (and patents).
- Proven ability to develop strong working relationships with
cross-functional teams, (program manager, product engineering,
manufacturing, service, training, supply management, product
management, sales, suppliers, etc.)
- Strong proficiency with verbal and written communication
skills, analytical problem solving, and creativity.
- Experience in simulation using Mathworks tools (Matlab,
Simulink, Stateflow) preferred.
- Proven problem-solving ability, experience with standard
analysis and reporting tools (A3, 8D, DFMEA, Fishbone/5-whys
- Application understanding in industrial and consumer
transportation, transport refrigeration, off road agricultural,
construction equipment, or HVAC engineering experience desired but
- Understand reliability requirements for those applications
(bearings, lubricants, windings double dip and bake vs. potting,
inverter duty machines, hermetic compressors, coolant system
We offer competitive compensation
and comprehensive benefits and programs that help our employees
thrive in both their professional and personal lives. We are proud
of our winning culture which is inclusive and respectful at its
core. We share passion for serving customers, caring for others,
and boldly challenging what’s possible for a sustainable world.
We are committed to achieving workforce diversity reflective of our
communities. We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify,
national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status
as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.
Keywords: Trane Technologies, Minneapolis , Sr. Motor Design Engineer, Other , Minneapolis, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!