Camp Manitou Lead
Company: YMCA Twin Cities
Posted on: June 13, 2021
- Job Summary:
The Camp Lead is responsible for overseeing a designated program
area, acting as a unit lead and/or providing program administrative
support at camp. Examples may include but is not limited to arts
and crafts, climbing wall, water front, dog sledding, archery, high
ropes, check in campers, bus coordinators, etc. The Camp Lead may
support camp counselors as a unit lead as well as direct service to
campers. The incumbent provides high quality experiences for
campers that focus on the YMCA care values: caring, honesty,
respect and responsibility.
- Essential Functions:
- Oversee the setup, up-keep, and staffing of program area.
- Assist in training staff in using equipment and lesson planning
for the program area.
- Prepare, lead, and evaluate programs which may include
theme/special camp activities.
- Maintain and inventory all equipment necessary for the program
- Ensure that the site is kept clean and organized.
- Provide support to Camp Counselors as a Male Unit Lead or
Female Unit Lead to coordinate programming among small groups.
- Help write and implement a weekly schedule for your camp
- Organize and lead a variety of small and large group
- Communicate with parents about participant's experiences and
report concerns to Camp Leadership.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including
incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with
the camp program.
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with
the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to
being responsible for your campers' safety and their whereabouts at
- Prepare for and actively participate in staff training and
- Provide work direction to staff as needed.
- Help guide Junior Counselors and Camp Volunteers to have a
deeper understanding of leadership and counseling skills.
- If applicable, maintain constant surveillance of the pool
area/body of water, know/review all emergency procedures and
respond to emergency situations immediately. Attend monthly
- May help in other camp program areas as needed.
This position reports to the Camp Program Director who reports
to Camp Executive. The incumbent may take work direction from the
Sr. Camp Program Coordinator/Camp Program Coordinator. The
incumbent interacts regularly with camp staff, campers, and
parents. This position involves interaction with camp staff,
campers and parents from a diverse background.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Upon hire, completion of YMCA provided First Aid and BLS
- Minimum of one (1) season experience in camp, youth programs,
recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
- Possess or acquire the required certifications for specific
- Demonstrated ability to keep accurate records and organize
program area logistics.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team and the
ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- If applicable, current nationally accredited lifeguard
certification (applicable for body of water being guarded).
- If applicable, Oxygen Administration certification (may not
guard until certification is complete).
- Work Conditions:
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp
activities which may include, but are not limited to, hiking,
canoeing, swimming, team building initiatives, building campfires,
physical games, and activities.
- Must have the ability to manage and physically support children
when needed for safety in general camp activities (child weighing
50 - 200 pounds).
- May be required to lift up to 70 pounds depending upon specific
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks outdoor in different
- If applicable, ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- If applicable, physically perform all skills required of a
- If applicable, hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic
environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of
responsibility, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- If applicable, remain alert with no lapses of
- If applicable, see and observe all sections of an assigned zone
of responsibility, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Additional Notes:
This job description represents the major functions of the
position but is not intended to be all-inclusive. The incumbent is
responsible for taking direction from the Camp Program Director or
their representatives in completing projects or performing duties
deemed necessary for the Branch or Association success.
Keywords: YMCA Twin Cities, Minneapolis , Camp Manitou Lead, Other , Monticello, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!