Below is specific information for you to consider about this
Job Title: AVID Assistant Pool (2021-2022) and Requisition ID
Close Date: 11:59 PM on 05/02/2021
Organizational Unit: AVID Tutors (10000676)
Site: Davis Center (0001)
FTE: 0.50 FTE; 20 hours week; this is based on full-time
equivalency with 1.0 being full time
Functional Area: Paraprofessional
Resume and Cover Letter are mandatory to apply for any
Minneapolis Public Schools has multiple positions available for
Under general supervision, facilitate and coach small groups of
students who are engaged in academic problem-solving; facilitate
peer learning and instruction.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS -- Essential functions, as defined under the
Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following
representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is
ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all
functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class.
Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin
work at their assigned work location on the specified days and
hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not
routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential
function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but
are not limited to, the following:
- Facilitate and coach small groups of students with academic
- Collaborate with classroom teacher on coaching strategies and
- Provide feedback regarding academics and student participation
during each class period.
- Engage students in problem-solving techniques, teach and model
the use of skillful questioning.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when
interacting with students, clients, visitors, and MPS staff; acts
in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace
- Enthusiastically promotes the Superintendent's goals and
priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures.
- Maintains absolute confidentiality of work-related issues,
records and MPS information.
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed
- At times may be required to work outside normal business hours
and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines
AA degree or completion of 90 quarter or 60 semester college
credits (required) in Education, Child Development, Behavioral
Sciences; or educational area related to position assignment OR an
equivalent combination of education, training and experience as
determined by Human Resources.
- Applicable policies, procedures and regulations covering
specific areas of assignment.
- Classroom policies, procedures and processes.
- Methods and techniques to assist students in reading, writing
- Methods and techniques for working with students with
disabilities and special needs.
- Principles of record keeping and records management.
- Personal computers utilizing standard and specialized
- Safety rules and regulations.
- Motivating and encouraging students to reach post-secondary
- Maintaining composure, and working effectively under classroom
- Administering educational and school support programs.
- Reacting quickly to situations that could create personal
stress and safety problems.
- Communicating effectively with children from diverse
- Collaborating as a team member with classroom teachers.
- Following verbal and written instructions.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships
with co-workers and students.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
A valid Minnesota State Driver's License may be required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a classroom and a general office
environment, with moderate physical requirements; requires
occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier
materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light
objects frequently. Jobs in this category may require walking or
standing to a significant degree, long periods of working with
computers, and working with children.
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee.
Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing
a criminal background check.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Diversity is one of Minneapolis Public Schools core values and
is essential to our goal of putting children first and making them
college-ready. Diversity of our workforce provides us with a
competitive advantage and allows us to better understand,
communicate with and educate our diverse student body. Minneapolis
Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or
employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national
origin, gender or gender identity, marital status, status with
regard to public assistance, disability, sexual orientation, age,
family care leave status, or veteran status.
Minneapolis Public Schools strongly encourages diverse
candidates to apply.
Posting Notes: | 12:01 AM On 05/02/2021 | AVID Tutors (10000676)
| Davis Center (0001) | Paraprofessional