Senior Instrumentation Scientist
Company: Bruker Corporation
Posted on: June 12, 2021
As one of the world's leading analytical instrumentation
companies, Bruker covers a broad spectrum of advanced solutions in
all fields of research and development. All our systems and
instruments are designed to improve safety of products, accelerate
time-to-market and support industries in successfully enhancing
quality of life. We've been driving innovation in analytical
instrumentation for 50 years now. Today, worldwide more than 6,000
employees are working on this permanent challenge, at over 70
locations on all continents.
- The Sr Instrumentation Scientist will design and develop
state-of-the-art nano/micro mechanical test instrumentation. This
is a hands-on position requiring the ability to visualize and build
complex instrumentation with attention to detail, excellent
planning skills, and the ability to lead product development from
concept phase through commercialization.
- Conduct and complete system level designs, integration and
testing of nano/micro mechanical testing platforms.
- Solve unique and complex problems with broad impact on the
business; requires conceptual and innovative thinking to develop
- Perform both empirical and theoretical analysis; interpret
experimental data to formulate conclusions.
- Pursue creation of intellectual property.
- Develop test criteria, design and build test fixtures, and
execute test plans.
- Perform construction and test prototypes, and/or supervise
technicians doing this work.
- Develop and conduct experiments utilizing scientific methods
and DOE principles.
- Conduct root cause failure analysis to improve instrument
performance and reliability.
- Use analytical and troubleshooting skills to address
instrumentation systems issues.
- Develop project schedules, track and communicate project
statuses, and provide leadership and ownership of project
- Provide clear organized documentation of design, development,
- Lead and participate in design reviews.
- Build relationships with technical staff across diverse Bruker
- Support or lead cross-functional teams, working with other
groups to resolve issues.
- Interact with external business unit collaborators to manage
ongoing research and development activities.
- Experience with test instrumentation research and design
(mechanical or metrological instrumentation experience
- Experience with instrumentation design and integration
including mechanical and electrical systems, fluid handling,
thermal systems, and materials specification.
- Strong understanding of precision machine design, mechanical
engineering principles, materials, and mechanics.
- Strong experience with MATLAB, C/C++, Python, LabVIEW or other
instrumentation control and computational data analysis tools.
- Proficient user of 2D and 3D drawing packages (SolidWorks
- Experience with simulation/modeling tools (FEA) to perform
engineering analysis, including mechanical (stress/strain, shock,
vibration, etc.), and thermal.
- Proficiency with advanced test equipment and instrumentation
(e.g. digital oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, lock-in amplifiers,
- Solid knowledge of industrial control systems, sensors,
automation, instrumentation, motion control, motor selection and
- Demonstrated capability to troubleshoot, develop or improve
mechanical and electromechanical systems using analytical and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of electronics and software development is
- Knowledge and proficient understanding of electron microscopy,
scanning probe microscopy and nano/micromechanical testing.
- 5 years of experience in advanced instrumentation research and
- Advance degree: a PhD is desired, a Masters or Bachelor's
degree with appropriate experience will be considered.
- Qualified candidates should have a minimum of 5 years of
relevant instrumentation design experience with a Bachelor's
degree; or 3 years and a Master's degree or PhD degree in
Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics,
Physics, Chemistry, or equivalent.
Keywords: Bruker Corporation, Minneapolis , Senior Instrumentation Scientist, Other , Minneapolis, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!