Gear Hobber Ser-Up/Operator
Company: United Gear & Assembly
Posted on: May 6, 2021
GEAR HOBBER SET-UP/OPERATORRESPONSIBILITES
- Sets up and operates one or more gear hobbing machines to
machine splines or gear teeth on metal blanks according to
specifications, machining instructions, and knowledge of gear
- Reads machining instructions or blueprints to determine machine
settings, fixtures and hobs to use, and gear specifications, such
as dimensions and tolerances.
- Clamps work piece in fixture or on arbor and mounts arbor
- Positions and secures specified hob on arbor in relation to
work piece, using wrenches.
- Moves levers or mounts gears in machine to set feed rates and
rotation speeds of hob and work piece following machining
- Turns hand wheel to feed hob to work piece or vice versa, and
engages automatic feed.
- Turns valve handle and directs flow of coolant against hob and
work piece. Verifies conformance of hobbed gears to specifications,
using micrometers, gear measuring wires, master gears, and involute
- Compute and program data, such as gear dimensions and machine
settings, applying knowledge of shop mathematics.
- Sets up and operates gear inspection equipment to measure
curvature of gear tooth, distance between teeth, concentricity of
gear, profile and surface dimensions, of production and prototype
gears, utilizing knowledge of gear inspection techniques and
- Mounts master gears on testing machine and starts machine to
calibrate machine instruments.
- Mounts and secures gear on spindle or arbor of machine, sets
instrument stylus on gears.
- Starts machine and reads instrument results to determine
dimensions of gear, and compares readings to specifications.
- Measures profile and surface dimensions of gear.
- Correct gear machine setup to eliminate defects. Labor Grade:
G4; G5; G6KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTSIntermediate reading,
writing, and arithmetic skills required. This is normally acquired
through a high school diploma or equivalent, or a 2 degree
program.Computer literate with the ability to learn, and work
statistical and manufacturing software applications. Duties require
verbal and written communication skills. Microsoft Office
Professional, Word, Excel, statistical and manufacturer software a
plus1st shift = Monday through Thursday 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.2nd shift =
Monday through Thursday 4 p.m. to 2 a.m. This shift pays an
additional $2.00 per hour differential.
Keywords: United Gear & Assembly, Minneapolis , Gear Hobber Ser-Up/Operator, Other , Hudson, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!