Financial Professional 2 Generalist - MNPI
Company: University of Minnesota
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Apply for JobJob ID352952
Employee ClassCivil Service
Add to Favorite JobsEmail this JobAbout the Job
The MNPI Center is seeking a motivated individual interested in
research related financial management to grow our team. This is
generally an entry-level position into the finance professional
career path that will work closely with existing Finance
Professionals to navigate university policies, assist labs with
procedures, reconcile transactions, prepare reports and interpret
them to offer guidance, and work towards providing independent
financial support services. Individuals with experience in the
above are also welcome to apply for an expedited path to
independence. Salary Range: $52,000 - $60,000 depending on
qualifications.Work Arrangement: Mostly remote with occasional
in-person time as needed. (70%) Financial Reporting:
- Provide financial management support for sponsored and
- Generate monthly financial reports, including projections,
identifying trends, working with faculty and lab staff to resolve
- Review purchasing and payroll transactions on accounts for
policy compliance and budgetary impact.
- Initiate, process and/or approve financial transactions for
efficient and timely account management.
- Reconcile accounts for reasonableness.
- Meet regularly with PI's and management to review financial
status of PI's. Provide guidance and problem solve solutions for
issues pertaining to financial shortfalls.
- Assist with budget development on grant submissions ensuring
compliance with University and sponsor guidelines.
- Work with SPA and SFR on sponsor activities to meet contractual
obligations such as award setups, rebudget and closeouts.
- Keep current on both University and sponsored policies and
procedures giving guidance to faculty and staff when
- Monitor salary distributions and process distribution updates
and retroactive corrections when necessary.(10%) Transaction
- Using evolving knowledge of policy and procedures, review,
resolve and approve EFS transactions for assigned department(s) to
include requisitions, vouchers, pcard, etc.
- Work with the Purchasing Coordinator, PI's and lab staff to
rectify problematic transactions prior to approving.
- Utilize excellent customer service skills to explain and uphold
policies, seek win-win solutions and follow through to
resolution.(10%) Effort Certification:
- Coordinate effort certification process and ensure deadlines
- Monitor dollar values committed, salary cap compliance and
- Verify that paid and unpaid effort have been properly accounted
for in the payroll system and ECRT.
- Make salary adjustments to ensure reported effort is
correct.(10%) Other Duties as Assigned:
- Backup other team members
- Serve on various committees
- Special projects as assigned
All required qualifications must be documented on application
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting and two years of professional
accounting experience and/or an equivalent combination of education
and experience sufficient to perform the essential duties of the
- Experience with Microsoft Office including advanced skills with
- Prior experience with financial analysis, forecasting and
- Familiarity with payroll processes.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and accounts
simultaneously, and to work both independently and as part of a
- High level of analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills with ability to establish and
maintain effective working relationships within and outside of the
area and with all levels of management.
- Proven ability to provide superior customer service Preferred
- Experience with University of Minnesota Enterprise Financial
System (EFS) and PeopleSoft.
- Experience with University of Minnesota HRMS and payroll
- Experience using Filemaker database.
- Prior experience with post award grants management, including
- Prior experience planning and implementing budgets.
- Good organizational and prioritization skills.
- Proven ability to follow through on issues for timely
About the Department
The MNPI Administrative Center provides administrative services to
four basic science departments at the University of Minnesota
Medical School: Microbiology & Immunology; Neuroscience;
Pharmacology; and Integrative Biology & Physiology. MNPI
Administrative Center staff support faculty in their roles as
scientists, teachers, and University leaders. We support students'
efforts to learn and grow through coursework, lab experiences, and
advising. We help each other in labs and offices throughout the
MNPI Center to create a productive, supportive, and collegial work
Working at the UniversityAt the University of Minnesota, you'll
find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are
interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance,
allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your
life outside of work.The University also offers a comprehensive
benefits package that includes:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, and generous time off
- Continuous learning opportunities through professional training
and degree-seeking programs supported by the Regents
- Low-cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- University HSA contributions
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Employee wellbeing program
- Excellent retirement plans with employer contribution
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) opportunity
- Financial counseling services
- Employee Assistance Program with eight sessions of counseling
at no costPlease visit the Office of Human Resources website for
more information regarding benefits.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this
position, please click the Apply button and follow the
instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an
online application for the position and attach a cover letter and
resume.Additional documents may be attached after application by
accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents
in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.To request an
accommodation during the application process, please e-mail
email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity
and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its
employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is
committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying
identities and backgrounds.The University of Minnesota provides
equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and
employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national
origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance
status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or
gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U:
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful
completion of a background check. Our presumption is that
prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal
convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are
required to comply with the University's Administrative Policy:
COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof
of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or
complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or
religious reasons. To learn more please visit:
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)The University of
Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research
universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and
professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and
research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant,
diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in
Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with
world-renowned health centers, international corporations,
government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service
Keywords: University of Minnesota, Minneapolis , Financial Professional 2 Generalist - MNPI, Accounting, Auditing , Minneapolis, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!